The Community Outreach Coordinator (COC) works directly with newcomers who have been identified as vulnerable and who face intersecting barriers to integration. Barriers can include low levels of literacy, lack of formal education, low English language abilities, limited coping skills, minimal or no urban living experience, trauma, isolation, mental and physical health challenges, and more. These high-needs families and individuals will require intensive support, frequent touchpoints, and service flexibility.
The Community Outreach Coordinator:
- Provides one-on-one counselling to clients.
- Supports clients through group counselling sessions and be available to provide itinerant services.
- Arranges, coordinates, monitors, evaluates, and advocates for appropriate services to meet the specific complex needs of clients and their families.
- Travels to clients homes and other community locations to provide supports.
- Documents each client session and prepares progress reports and monthly reports.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following education and skills:
- A Bachelors degree in Social Work and a registered Member of the SASW;
- A minimum of 1 year of supervised clinical counselling working with individuals, families and groups, preferably in a mental health and addictions program or family services setting;
- Knowledge of various mental health conditions, and optimal plans for treatment and intervention;
- High degree of comfort in dealing with mental health issues, suicidal ideation, violence and abuse, and histories of trauma;
- Well developed case management, assessment and counselling skills, including familiarity with a variety of theoretical and practice approaches;
- Experience in a cross-cultural setting is considered an asset. The ability to speak another language is considered an asset;
- A Class 5 Drivers license and a reliable vehicle; and
- A Criminal Record Check including the vulnerable sector.
For a more complete description of this position and how you can apply, please see the full job description.