Human Resources Specialist
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Employment Status: Full-Time
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To facilitate all HR functions and programs.
NATURE OF WORK: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Human Resources Specialist is responsible for providing strategic guidance along with practical hands-on implementation of a robust suite of HR initiatives that will differentiate GGP as an employer of choice for committed, compassionate, and competent employees. The HR Specialist is responsible for managing the employee value proposition for GGP’s team of approximately 60 staff in two locations. The HR Specialist is an enthusiastic champion of GGP—a unique and thriving values-based organization. The HR Specialist works alongside passionate and committed team members who collaborate to achieve social change and better outcomes for immigrants and refugees.
The HR Specialist is a key partner to the Executive Director and managers, helping them achieve their organizational goals through people. By managing the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing HR activities for GGP, the HR Specialist serves, leads, and contributes daily to the organization’s overall mandate. The HR Specialist plays an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. Because this position has unparalleled access to useful data, the HR Specialist conducts research, analysis and reporting of data in addition to daily tasks.
The Human Resources Specialist is accountable for ensuring adequate HR policies, processes, and practices are thoughtfully created, recommended to the Executive Director and carefully implemented while managing change.
- Works closely with the Managers to ensure the delivery of their program mandates through qualified and engaged staff members.
- Assist in identifying ways to improve HR processes and ensure integrity of information, programs, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate all recruitment initiatives and activities including: job postings, interviews, and reference checks for new staff members.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality at all times on matters pertaining to employee file management.
- Coordinate employee reviews for managers and ensure proper documentation and filing to respective employee file.
- Provide support in the implementation, communication and administration of compensation policies and practices; including coordination ofbenefit and pension sign-up.
- Assist with the development and roll-out of various HR initiatives and programs aimed at employee retention, training and development, and diversity and inclusion.
- Maintain HR data for statistical analysis including absenteeism and turnover, exit interviews, etc. and provide monthly reports to the Executive Director.
- Maintain knowledge of legal requirements and government regulations to ensure compliance with HR functions.
- Respond to inquiries about Human Resource policies and procedures, and refer to managers when needed.
The Human Resources Specialist performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
Education – University Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related discipline, along with additional professional development courses in HR related topics.
Experience – A minimum of 4 years in a similar role.
- A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Police Record Check – criminal record check required (within three months).
REQUIRED TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
Demonstration of the following performance competencies are considered essential for success in this position:
Knowledge of Human Resources Management
- Understanding of all aspects of human resource management in a non-unionized environment.
- Understanding of labour law
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of Human Resource Management Tools, Methodologies and Principles.
- Understanding of the strategic human resources management concepts and practices necessary to create a productive environment with committed and engaged employees.
- Ability to evaluate efforts to create an Organization that practices strategic human resources management and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to promote succession planning and build staff competencies.
- Ability to organize and conduct staff evaluation programs
- Ability to develop and monitor HR Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of all Provincial and Federal regulations as it relates to people management.
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional interviewing skills.
- Ability to demonstrate strong coaching skills.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated skills in file management and record keeping
REQUIRED BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrates understanding and openness towards others, nurturing and valuing positive relationships with others in own work unit and across the organization.
- Demonstrates a consistent focus on achieving results despite challenges or obstacles; demonstrates concern for doing a good job and achieving or surpassing standards of excellence.
- Promotes environments where diversity in background, thought and practice is welcomed and valued.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively in a wide variety of situations; including face-to-face, over the phone and in writing.
Teamwork and Collaboration
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively within a team and with individuals throughout the organization to achieve optimal results.
- Demonstrates an understanding of privacy protection and informed consent;
- Stay up-to-date on areas of expertise including trends and issues in the settlement sector.
This position primarily operates within regular weekday hours, from 9am to 5pm, in a culturally diverse office setting. The Human Resources Specialist mostly communicates with GGP employees, managers, and the Executive Director.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume including three professional references in confidence by May 26, 2019 at 5 pm to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.