English Language Centre Team Lead
Employment Status: Full-Time
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To support English language acquisition and integration of newcomers by providing leadership to the Language Services department at the English Language Centre
NATURE OF WORK: Reporting to the Language Services Manager, the ELC Team Lead oversees Language Instructors, Language Assistants and the CNC Lead to ensure high quality teaching and improved standards of learning across the department.
The ELC Team Lead:
- Ensures language instruction is compliant with GGP policies and procedures
- Provides ongoing support to LINC instructors; advises instructional team on emerging issues
- Conducts orientation, training, and evaluation of teachers and language assistants
- Oversees language assistants, teachers, substitutes, and volunteers; coordinates schedules based on need and ensures that availability and other information are current
- Delegates tasks, negotiates workloads, assesses performance and reports on developments.
- Works closely with the PBLA Lead Teacher to ensure that instructors are meeting PBLA requirements in the classroom and students' portfolios reflect PBLA learning
- Coordinates extracurricular activities (i.e. field trips and guest speakers) to meet class themes and enhance students’ learning experience;
- Ensures monthly and quarterly reports, timesheets, and financial claim deadlines are met
- Conducts regular ESL meetings and monitors level-alike group meetings
- Attends meetings (LARC, SASIA, etc.) in place of the Language Services Manager, if needed
- Responds to practicum requests, and works with instructors to place students
- Liaises with assessment agencies (LARC and NIC) and other service provider organizations
- Ensures that equipment and resources are in place to support language learning
- Keeps current with relevant program information to respond accurately to client, staff, and community inquiries
- Participates in staff meetings; contributes to committees, events, and initiatives deemed appropriate by the management
The ELC Team Lead will fulfill other duties as assigned.
Demonstration of the following performance competencies are considered essential for success in this position:
Attention to Detail: Demonstrates attention to accuracy, completeness and timeliness in tasks, approaching work in a disciplined and orderly fashion.
Relationship Building: Demonstrates understanding and openness towards others, nurturing and valuing positive relationships with others in own work unit and across the organization.
Cultural Diversity: Demonstrates the promotion of environments where diversity in background, thought and practice is welcomed and valued.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively in a wide variety of situations; including face-to-face, over the phone and in writing.
Teamwork and Collaboration: Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively within a team, and with individuals throughout the organization, to achieve optimal results.
Initiative: Demonstrates initiative without specific direction; completes tasks by removing barriers and locating necessary resources.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- University Bachelor's Degree in Education or Business Administration
- TESL Canada certification is an asset
- 2-5 years of experience. Specific experience in Human Resource functions is an asset.
- Team player with the ability to work with minimal supervision, collaborate, interact and build effective relationships across and at all levels of the organization
- Flexible, well-organized, able to work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written language skills
- Strong proficiency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint is essential with the ability to easily learn new software programs
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an atmosphere of changing priorities and circumstances is essential
- Passionate about people, service and continuous improvement
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality is essential
- A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- A Criminal Record Check including the section relating to working with vulnerable persons in good standing order is required.
- The ability to speak another language is an asset
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume including three professional references in confidence by April 13, 2017 at 5 pm to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.